So you want to learn how to experience sleep paralysis. Let us first start off by saying we don’t recommend it and we will discuss why.
If you are here, however, we know your probably stubborn and that you may try anyways.
First, some just might want to know what sleep paralysis is and why a person would want to experience it.
Sleep paralysis is a sort of awareness, or feeling, of being conscious but while being unable to speak or move.
To prevent ourselves from physically acting wild during sleep, our muscles are relaxed to a point of natural paralysis.
This happens during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, but sometimes this sleep cycle doesn’t go smoothly all the way through.
There are times where a person starts to wake consciously before your body does, or your body tries to fall asleep before your mind.
This is how someone enters and experiences the state sleep paralysis.
Why would someone want to learn how to experience sleep paralysis?
- Curiosity – Some people just want the experience. While many still have no idea what it is, sleep paralysis is becoming more well known. Sleep paralysis is definitely a curious subject.
- Lucid Dreaming – Many have the desire to learn how to lucid dream. Lucid dreaming is where you someone becomes aware that they are dreaming and may be able to control what happens therein. Sleep paralysis is closely related to lucid dreaming. Many lucid dreamers can use sleep paralysis and turn it into a lucid dream.
- Some people are just weird – That is not necessarily a bad thing, just a cold hard fact. Maybe you have a friend that believes in sleep paralysis demons and your into that kind of stuff. Whatever the reason is, today we will be your guide on this journey.
STEP 1 – Learn the risks and effects of sleep paralysis
As with anything else it is important to do your research and know the risks.
Sleep paralysis is not believed to be dangerous by itself. However, the effects, like bad sleep, and increased stress are not good for you.
Interrupting your sleep cycles in some way is usually what brings about the experience.
Here is where we tell you why it might not be such a good idea to induce sleep paralysis.
Hopefully you know by know that regular consistent sleep is very important for your health.
To experience sleep paralysis you basically need to ruin your sleep.
This leads right into the next step.
STEP 2 – Learn the sleep paralysis causes
A great place to start is by reading The Top 3 Sleep Paralysis Causes. In that article we discuss the main causes and how they can increase your likelihood of entering sleep paralysis.
Some of the causes of sleep paralysis include:
- Interrupting your Normal Sleep Schedule
- Lack of Sleep
Some things that would aid in messing up your sleep and fuel these causes include:
- Watching a scary movie before bed
- Drinking caffeinated beverages before bed
- Staying up late playing games or watching tv
As you can see the causes of it are definitely things you normally want to try and avoid. If these are the causes, however, these are the things you need to do to experience sleep paralysis.
Another tip: Sleep paralysis seems to most often be experienced when a person sleeps on their back
STEP 3 – Learn about the sleep paralysis symptoms
If you are determined to ruin a nights sleep, you need to know the signs and symptoms of sleep paralysis. This way you can recognize it and guage when you are close to or actually experiencing it.
Sleep paralysis is described mainly with these symptoms:
- Being unable to move or speak (paralysis)
- Feeling a chest or throat pressure
- Hallucinations, through sight, hearing or touch
- Feeling another presence in the room
- Panic, varying from mild to extreme
Step 4 – Learn how to lucid dream
This is really an optional step, but the only recommended one.
As described above, lucid dreaming is a popular trend where you gain awareness of dreams, and learn to gain control of them.
Studying lucid dreaming can be enlightening in many ways.
The fact is that sleep paralysis and lucid dreaming are closely connected.
They both in include a state of awareness but while in different state of consciousness.
Many people who learn to lucid dream, often experience sleep paralysis as well.
If you are wanting to experience sleep paralysis than why not do it while learning a skill and art in lucid dreaming.
If it happens, we suggest you let it happen naturally while lucid dreaming. The reason is that it may be easier to stop and control with the skills and knowledge gained in the process.
STEP 5 – Learn to recognize sleep paralysis, and don’t fear it
Once you are armed with the knowledge of the risks, causes, and symptoms, you should be well on your way.
You will quickly recognize when it is happening or even when it is about to happen.
Just remember there is nothing to fear when you actually experience sleep paralysis. Don’t fear it and let it make things worse when you are in it.
If you first understand what it is, however, then it will not be that scary.
Sleep paralysis is usually not an experience to be treasured, but remember that lucid dreaming can be.